Saturday, 29 August 2009

Morning Life

Hey everyone!

I'm now here and settling into life in Beijing. Amongst other things, it turns out that in choosing a Chinese name, I have inadvertently called myself Oreo Cookies. It makes the previous post all the more relevant! This morning I woke up at about 6am and went for a cycle around the campus. I took a few pictures of morning life to try to give a feel for the place. There were a lot of people up already, cleaning and brushing staff starting work, older people taking morning exercise and some tourists too. I'm getting used to being stared at and being asked to pose for photos with people's kids now. With new parents bringing their kids to start Uni, there was a lot of pointing and staring. Beijingers themselves are used to foreigners, so luckily they don't take much notice.

The campus is huge, cycling around it took me about 1.5 hours, but I wasn't in any hurry. Generally people didn't stop me, but I wasn't allowed to take photos in the Main Building, the security thought a Westerner taking photos at 6am was quite suspicious. I don't have my teacher's pass yet so I made a swift exit. I cycled down to the lotus pond and around the older areas of campus. Originally this area of Beijing was part of gardens owned by the emperor, so it is pretty pleasant. There was an elderly choir practising in the exercise area which is like an outdoor gym (complete with weights, bars and badminton courts), they were quite good, but seemed much more focused on joking with each other and enjoying the morning than singing.

I can't work out how to put the photos on here, but I will find out soon. Just getting to my blog to write this has already been a little challenging... I'm going to go eat some dumplings for breakfast now, maybe I'll have worked out how to do photos by the time I come back.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Sleepy Panda,

    Seems like you've settled down pretty well. Good you got yourself a bike--the campus is so large! I spent a couple of days in and around Tsinghua when I was in Beijing, and really liked it there. Hope you can find a way to post your pics so we can all get a sense of what you've been up to! Look forward to reading more of your posts!

    All the best,
    May

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Oreo!

    Read your other entries and you seem really happy :) Glad everything is going smoothly. I think your choice of name is great; could have been alot worse I guess!

    Hope everything continues to go well. And I hope that your dumplings were not made of cardboard and that any noodles you may consume are not floral patterned.

    Delaney xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. wooo hey,

    glad that everything's going fine with you. Just wondering how you got your blog set up... is it a chinese blog site? ohhh... so when do u start working in tsingwa?? I really wanna pay a visit sometimes as well.. as it's kind of shameful not been in beijing the capital for even once... but yea ! upload more great pictures! i would like to see how mordern china 's like nowadays!!!

    ReplyDelete