I've been driven to write this post by the fear-mongering attitudes that I have seen in many Western media sources. I just feel worried that the attitudes I have seen will lead people down a completely unhelpful path of fear. I feel that they are so blatant if you look for them that I can't work out why I never noticed when I was in the West. Is this simply Stockholm Syndrome now that I'm in China, or do you have to take a step back to look at something from a different angle?
Last month, I was sitting in my room watching Obama's speech on CCTV 9 (China Central Television) and checking the BBC news to see what was going on in the world. (I was also eating some biscuits.) Up popped the headline "Obama's message censored in China" (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8363669.stm). "How interesting!" I thought, particularly as I was then currently watching Obama's speech on TV. If you have time to look at the article itself, look at the language used. Is this the language of a professional, unbiased article? Meanwhile Obama was discussing the touchy topics of human rights and freedom of expression, all broadcast on Chinese TV (in English though to be fair).
Anyway, why such an indignant tone if China should seek to mute Obama's charismatic personality? Why would an American style of engagement with the press and people be expected when not in America, but in a country with deep seated ideas of face and keeping emotions away from public display? I find it surprising enough that the US cripples the world economy and then Obama comes to visit the bank manager (to whom he owes more than $1 trillion) to extoll the virtues of his country, explaining that really, China should try to be a bit more like America. Think of the situation in reverse. If Hu Jintao went to America and was given an hour plus of air time on the television to extoll Chinese virtues, then the Chinese media reported "Hu Jintao's message censored in America", wouldn't you feel a little bit annoyed? Do you know when was the last time Hu Jintao visited was? Do you remember his big speech broadcast on national TV? I don't.
Next take a look at this article (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/from_our_own_correspondent/8407238.stm), from the BBC correspondent in Beijing who doesn't speak any Mandarin. I'm sure that not speaking the local language really allows him to see daily life for what it is and gain a true insight into China... He certainly must be the best man for the job. Again, look at the style of emotive language that he uses.
However, it doesn't matter, we all know that the Chinese media lies to people and its main aim is to gloss over any problems, right? How do we know this? Did you ever check? Or did the BBC tell you?
Monday, 14 December 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment